Thursday, March 20, 2008

Dina Dina Bo Bina!!!

Sad sad day here at the Johnson house. We were hoping that my sister Deanne..aka.Dina, and her husband Nick, and cutiepatuty little Addie, and soon to be baby girl..were going to come home to us!! They have been back in medical school at Wake Forest and are getting ready for residency. Well, they found out today they will be going to Pennsylvania. Congrats to them....dangit for me. We have been praying for them to come here..for our benefit...but I guess things work out the way they are supposed to. We actually went back to that area last summer to direct an EFY so it is fun knowing the area around they are moving too...but still. Could I just get one of my sisters to move here??? Yes, I am sulking and "it's my blog and I'll cry if I want to."

Let me give you some history of the love/hate relationship I have with Dina. (yes, my parents did name her Deanne, but Greg took it upon himself to rename her Dina..you know like Dina blow your horn..long "i" people. Anyways, I have the hardest time calling her Deanne now and she is only known as Dina in our house. No one else calls her that unless they are with us. Except some of Greg's family really thinks that Dina is her name.) Boy, that was a long add in!! Anyways, back to the relationship I share with Dina!

It started young. The first experience I recall with Dina is when she cut my finger off. Did I just hear you gasp? Oh, ya, the chick cut my finger off. You'd think she'd spend the rest of her life making it up to me, oh, no. Not Dina! She thinks it is hilarious. My whole life she would say to people, "Hey, look at what I did to Becky's finger" like it was an accomplishment or something. Real funny Dina. It just happens to be my middle finger and everytime I got mad at her she'd say, hey, you gonna flip me off? Oh, that right, you can't." It's not that bad, it has a nail but it is a fat, short, squishy finger. I have always hated my finger and even when I went to get my nails done for my wedding the asian guy said, "oh, vat happen you finger? les see, how I charge you...? Nine nomal finger, one berry berry hard finger!" I flipped him off. Just kidding.

Moving on. In high school Dina pretended like she didn't like me but behind all that tough stuff, she would actually be somewhat nice to me. She even let me hang around her and her friends. That is big stuff people. There were nights when I would go into her room scared and say, "Can I sleep with you?" and she would say, "yes, but turn your face to the wall and don't touch me." Sounds mean, but that is my Dina!! She hated my boyfriend in high school and she had no problem telling me that, (and him that for that matter) and I would cry and cry, but looking back I have Deanne to thank for helping me out of that mess. See, she was looking out for me!!!

One of my favorite stories was when Dina and I worked together up at Morgan Stanley. We lived like a block away from each other and we seriously tried to carpool but we drove each other crazy. Greg used to get so mad because we stopped carpooling together but then we would seriously drive right next to each other all the way there and home and talk to each other on the phone the whole time. Hey, no one understands it but it worked for us.

I just got off the phone with Greg and he says I have to tell the famous "farting" story. He says, that he should have named Nick..Dina, (you know, "dina blow your horn") because when they were dating they used to love to play cards. Well, one Sunday night they were in my parents living room playing cards and Greg was sitting in there reading and someone..not Dina..blew his horn. Well, Dina and Nick just let it go (literally) and my sweet husband can't do that. He just started saying, "Okay, you two..who farted? One of you farted. Come clean!" Poor Dina and Nick were so embarassed, although it was great payback for all of those dang finger comments!!! Gotta love it! Come to think of it. Dina dated the tooters. One time she brought a guy over to my apartment. Well, just the three of us were in the living room and Dina and I were standing there talking and he was standing back by the couch and he seriously let a huge one fly. It shocked Dina and I so we looked at him and he looked at the couch like the couch was making noises. Nice try buddy! Mature people would have let it go, but we tried with all of our might to not laugh, but once we made eye contact with each other, we couldn't get a hold of ourselves. We just were talking and shaking(thats how we laugh) at the same time. Poor guy, I don't think he even had a shot after that.

I have a million stories I could share about Dina, but I won't right now. I am glad she is my sister. Yes, we can drive each other crazy, but I know she loves me. (you do love me Dina,..don't you?) It is funny how things work out. She was always the tomboy and I was the girly girl and she so far has two little girls and I have three boys! Who knew? I wish she would move closer but I'll just have to hope eventually she will move closer...if not, she'll be rich by that point and she can come and visit every weekend oh, and buy me things!! (this post is only to flatter the rich..or in this case, the future rich) I love you Dina, Nick, Addie and baby girl!!!!! Congrats on residency!!!!

13 comments:

Rachel said...

Cute post Becky. I always think about the time Deanne set me up with the guy who went on his mission to Africa and we doubled. She is so cute. He was a dork, but I made him tell me about Africa the whole time, just because Troy was there. Poor girl, she called to see if I wanted to go out with him again and I had to say "no." She broke the news to him, thanks Dina!!!

Miss Pete said...

Rebecca you are asking for trouble with the toot-toot stories. I think Deanne might have revenge stories to post...

That was funny to read. I'm sorry, but I laughed really hard at the finger stories. And the carpooling story I think is Dad's favorite.

You two are too cute! I too was hoping for a move back west. Oh well. I told her she needs to rent "That Thing You Do" because the band is from Erie, P-A.

Johnson said...

I wondered why Erie PA sounded so familiar. Hey Deb, I have no idea what you are referring to with the toot toot story? Oh, and I can delete any message that I want to!!! I dare ya!! Oh, and by the way, I love you too Deb!!

Devon said...

Okay, that was hilarious! I can't believe I hadn't heard any of those stories before (I know, your life has just been overwhelmed with funny stories, I guess!). But hilarious! I love the manicure guy...I can totally hear him! And ditto on the "Devon fix" (except in my case, I mean my "Becky Fix," because I get plenty of Devon), so we need to get the girls together soon!

Anonymous said...

You are so freakin funny! I am laughing so hard and my kids are looking at me like I am a wierdo. You ALWAYS make my day!

Nick and Deanne said...

You're lucky that I am still sad that I'm not moving closer to home. Give me some time - maybe you'll get some revenge stories on my blog. :)

Lindy said...

I'm still wiping tears away from the manicure story--hilarious. Both my sisters are far away too, but I'm the one living by mom so I get all the free babysitting--take that suckers.

Nick and Deanne said...

Becky - what are you talking about not commenting on my blog and paying a tribute. I'm not sure if this is a tribute. But thanks for being sad that I'm not moving home. I think I'm finally over it. . . for now.

Amy Morris said...

Becky- can I just say that you are by far one of the best story tellers- you crack me up!

Chad said...

Oh the long awaited residency plans:) How exciting for her! I know it's sad for you, but hopefully someday she will be closer:) Great stories, and they always keep me laughing!! COngrats Deanne and to her Husband:)

Chad said...

Sorry, once again I commented as my husband Chad...oops

Renee said...

I always love to read your posts! The make me laugh. You are a great sister. So sorry that they won't be closer. Maybe someday!

Dottie Stay said...

I am still laughing about the nail guy. You know that I LOVE that finger. I think one time you did flip me off because I kept bugging you to show it to me. No that is a lie you would never. There is nothing like sister, and you have some great ones!