Saturday, June 7, 2008

Another year older!! OUCH!

Turn up the music....listen to the selection I have chosen for this particular post! (Pump up the jam!) I know if you are any where around my age...this will get your boodie moving!! How do I know? Because I had one of those moments today....don't pretend like you don't have them. I may be a little sentimental today seeing as though I am turning the big "29" tomorrow.. but I swear I can't be the only person who does this. I went grocery shopping..little bit of reality..but I didn't have to take my kiddos today since it is Saturday. So sometimes when I am kid free I find myself turning up the music as loud as it can go and getting my groove thing on. Todays song just happened to be.."Pump up the Jam". I found myself doing the robot,..mostly just with my head,..doing my little head dips to the right and then on over to the left. I seriously have the moves...:)!!! I was rocking out. As I pulled up to the car next to me at the light I realized how silly I must look. Usually this doesn't matter to me...I don't care who is watching..but today it hit me that although I feel like I am still a teenager...that I am a freakin mother of three children..driving in a minivan...with my hair in two messy pigtail/buns....getting my groove on to "Pump up the Jam"! Dang! It doesn't take much for me to be drawn back to past memories...especially with music. I can remember going to good old Stag dances and walking in all casually with my friends and then some song like Pump up the jam would come on and we would either start walking with a little more pump...or start running into the dance so we could rock out or maybe even do a little line dance. Because you know you are cool when you are part of the line dance and everyone is watching and you are all doing these dang cool moves all together! (probably not cool anymore?!?!) I think that no matter how much times goes by...no matter how much weight I put on (SIGH)...no matter how many children I have....no matter how many times I move and make new friends.....I will always be that 18 year old...110 pound...real blonde..perfect size boobs(had to throw that in there...cause you know they will never be the same after nursing three boys)...GIRL! In my mind..and until reality hits and someone from High School acts shocked when they see you! "Becky, is that really you?" Kiss it!!!



So although time continues to pass and I just keep getting older...I love the "girl" inside of me. I wouldn't trade my life now to go back because lets face it. I may be quite a bit heavier now,..not as good lookin...ect.ect. but I have more confidence now. Okay, Greg would pee his pants about that comment, but in reality I am content with who I am and nobody is going to change that!

So I am glad to be another year older because of the wonderful memories I have created in the last year...and the maybe not so great memories...it makes me who I am and I am glad that I can still get my groove on! Hey, my kids still look at me when I dance or sing and think I am the stuff..might as well enjoy it while they don't really understand that mom panting around the kitchen working up a sweat with my sweet moves isn't really cool!! So heres to the inner child and another amazing year!!!

Happy freaking birthday to me!!!!!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Becky! I hope you had a great day.
Today is Ray's birthday too!

Miss Pete said...

Happy Birthday! After we hung up the phone from leaving our sweet singing voices on your answering machine, I said to Scott..."Do you realize Becky's still in her 20's." His comment..."Did she get married when she was 12." Take it as a compliment not a suggestion to french braid your hair and put on a long skirt. He's just a man approaching the bitter age of 40 and leaving his 30's behind. Happy Birthday Sis!

Sonja said...

Happy Birthday Becky. You know, I still feel 18 too. I was looking at pictures of people from my high school and said "look they are old" I thought they would stay the same way as I remembered them. Nope, it happens to the best of us.

Becky said...

Hey!! I wish I had known it was your bday yesterday when I was talking to you!! Sorry and HAPPY BELATED BDAY!! :) So we're only a year and a half apart in age. And I'm with ya...I can hardly believe I'm in the "upper 20's" and I wonder if all adults feel this way......

Sharlynn said...

HAPPY late BIRTHDAY to you! Happy late Birthday to you! Happy late birthday dear Beckyyyyyyyyy. Happy Birthday tooOOOOoooOOOoooo. YOUUUUUUUUU!
Did you like my song? See I can be funny too. YOu are hilarious and I loved your post. You nailed it right on how we all feel. I just wish I could dance. I can't even dance so imagine good old me in my beat-up mini van rocking out. Not a good sight.

The Davies Family said...

Happy birthday Becky! Yeah its late..sorry, but I loved the visual I got from reading about you in the pig tails doing the robot with your HEAD! that I laughed so hard I PEED my pants and slipped in the bathroom, hit my head on the toilet and ended up in the hospital until now..so that is why its a 'late' 'Happy Birthday' Keep the funny stories coming!

Rachel said...

Holy Cow- have you read my last post? I swear we share the same brain sometimes. Check it out- we posted along very similar lines- though your outcome was better. I decided that I am not cool- nor was I ever! At least your kids think you're cool when you dance. Mine just tell me to stop! Love ya! Happy Birthday. I hope you got my message on the phone!

Devon said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECKY! Stag dance memories are totally the best. And lets face it, if you feel cool, you ARE cool -- who cares what other people think (usually)! YOU will always be cool! Hope you had a great day!

Scott and Megan said...

happy wonderful birthday to you! I am so glad you were born! What a treat to the Peterson family! I think you are really "cool" and call me during the summer 4 sure K--stay cute and cool....

Paige and Jason said...

Amen amen AMEN to everything you just said. I was laughing the WHOLE way thru because it could have been me talking. What really hit me was when I took my kids thru my old elementary school and then counted the years it had been since I was there...OUCH!!! It's kinda like I don't feel like I am that much older then the highschool/college me but I have a whole lot more knowledge and I am proud of the life I have created for me and my family. So heres to you...and a happy b-day. By the way, 29 is still VERY young:-)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Hope you had a very happy day! Thanks for the tunes to groove to. Welcome to the big 29 club!

Jones Family said...

Happy late birthday. 29?..... I would have guessed 21. You look amazing!

Lindsey said...

Happy Birthday Becky!!! I completely agree with you on all of your comments. It is always so fun to read your blog.

Cassie and Chad said...

Happy Happy Birthday!! Enjoy this LAST year in your twenties! But the thirties are way better! Seriously I think every year that I get older I like who I've become better. (deep thought by Cassie, by the way I am not sure why when I post my kids names come up sorry about that!)

Melinda said...

Happy Birthday. 29 is a lovely age, my contemporary! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who grooves around my kitchen. You RULE!

hortonhome said...

Okay you are too funny! I love your birthday message. I could relate all too well. Just wait until you are 35 - dang! You made me laugh all the way through - you are awesome!!

Dottie Stay said...

That is the greatest ppost ever! You do however look fantastic, and no matter how old we get you are frozen in my mind exactly how you described, so I don't know what you are talking about when you say that you look different now. I just plum don't see it! Your boys are damn lucky to have their sweating mother dancing around the kitchen with her sweet moves, and don't forget that!

Layne & Kellie said...

Happy Birthday... umm a week ago! Sorry I missed it but hey, never to late to say it, aye? I agree with Mindy... you still look fabulous. Plus, I think most of physical beauty comes from the inside. You have always been so happy, funny, and oh so kind. And isn't great to get to a point where you enjoy who you are? I think the 20s have been great for that!

Well, I hope you had a terrific day!

Nick and Deanne said...

Becky- the line dancing was never cool! j/k Enjoy your last year in your 20's. I have to live vicariously through Nick now. How depressing is it that I'm in my 30's and my husband is in his 20's?! But like you said, I'm still 18 in my mind and I like to be in denial. Sorry for the late response - we finally got our internet hooked up today. YAY!

Rebecs said...

Sorry I'm just telling you Happy Birthday, but anyhoo, HAPPY BIRTHdAY! So we were both Becky P. and I forgot our b-days were just 3 days apart. No wonder we were (and still are) so cool! And I too, jam out whenever I am alone in the car. I am so glad we have 'rekindled' our friendship through blogging. I sure had missed you!

Jen Tornow said...

Happy late Birthday, Bec! I promise I really did think about you earlier this month and thought, "Hey, Becky's birthday is coming up this month!" I hope you had a great day. It's so fun to think back on those fun High School memories, but I agree with you about the confidence thing. I'd have more fun if I went to High School now, because I wouldn't care a bit what people thought of me!

Jen Tornow said...

By the way, in regards to you wearing your hair in 2 buns on your head. Do you remember that stupid night in High School when you came to my house and we used tape to contort our faces to look really strange? You put your hair into a couple of buns on your head to make it look even sillier. That's the image I have of you rocking out in your minivan!

Sherian said...

Amen sista! My big day is a week from Tuesday...and for some reason 29 is way too close to 30. I love the "Kiss it!" for all the people who are surprised to see that multiple pregnancies, months of strict bedrest and being a human cow can change the body. It's crazy to feel 18 on the inside and look in the mirror and see my mother. If I could go back...I'm afraid I would worship my body a bit too much. (I would probably keep squeezing my boobs in disbelief) Being a 'kitchen- dancerer-mini-van-head-bobber' myself...I caught myself doing the 'head robot' through your entire entry... Thanks for the flashback!

Johnson said...

Jen,..those pictures are priceless and I may have to find them and put them on!!! We pinned our noses up with tape and drew unibrows!!!

The Claysons said...

Becky... I hear you on the aging! I cried the night before 30! Live it up... one more year in the 20's! Love your blog... you're so funny!

PS. Payton is devastated that Bro. Johnson won't be teaching him anymore! Thanks to both of you for being such good examples to Payton and getting him excited about Primary!

Unknown said...

You seriously put into words exactly how I feel. I know I'm getting older, but the inner girl in me doesn't want to believe it. I hope you had a great birthday! I am jealous of Gregs gift...that really was a shocker to me too. Now if you could just work on my husband in that area.

Michelle Y said...

Sorry this is so belated, but Happy Birthday! I love reading your posts, you are such an awesome writer! Hope all is well for you Becks!