Wow, what a day. Today was one of those days that you wonder what you are doing wrong!! So, here is a first for me. Today was obviously Sunday and we have 9:00 church. We had a meeting with the second couselor today and so we had to be there by quarter to. Well, things seemed to be going okay until our normally sweet Alex decided that he didn't want to go to church. I was trying to get him in the shower and he kept screaming, "I am not going to church because church is stupid. It's stupid, stupid, stupid!!" He normally begs to go to nursery. So, I should have guessed from that what our day was going to be like. We got to church even though the wind almost blew us away..lets remember we live at the mouth of the canyon and morning feels like you are in the North Pole with the wind. This is a funny side story. I was asked to do the cub scouts as a second calling and then they decided to wait until the other lady moved so they were just seeing if now, I could do that calling too and Greg was like, "sure she can do another calling and Becky will love the cub scouts, blah, blah, blah". Which, I actually think it will be great considering I have three boys who will eventually be in the scouting program so I want to learn all I can. But, the funny thing was when the counselor said, "oh, Brother Johnson we want you to do it too." Gregs face was classic!! And of course he said yes but then when we went to go sit down in church he went down the list of things that we were going to have to do now being in scouts. I thought it was hilarious that he was sooooo excited for me until he learned his fate!!!!
Okay, on to the shocking part for me!! Well, church was as anticipated. The boys take some work to keep them all quiet and content. But, I guess we weren't doing a good enough job because with 20 minutes left of church the couple sitting in front of us got up and looked at us and then moved to another spot in the chapel. My jaw about hit the floor. I immediately listened and we weren't the only ones struggling with our young ones. I am sorry, but with kids comes a little noise. I decided to take the two little ones out for the rest of the meeting. I felt horrible. I know others saw it because it was so obvious. It is bad enough feeling overwhelmed with your children. So many times Greg and I have to remind ourselves that going to church will eventually pay off because the kids can be hard. I don't get offended easily but I couldn't help but go with the kids to a room and cry. I feel like we are doing our best and hopefully we will be rewarded for trying. Anyways, I now think it is funny. I feel bad for them because obviously they have an issue with patience. They weren't a really old couple. Probably in their fifties. But, I think I was just shocked by their reaction. So, now I have a story to tell and laugh about. Our children are so HORRIBLE in church that we make people scatter away from us!!! That's funny!!
So, for Christmas, Santa is bringing a lot of church books and quiet toys...and muzzles for the children at church!!
18 comments:
I was just called as a Den Leader today too! I am so excited~ something new I have never done before!
So, you just described what happens to me EVERY Sunday! It's not your children that are HORRIBLE, but the ornery couple that got up and moved! Don't worry about it, Becky. Blessings in Heaven... that's what I tell myself every Sunday!
Once again, thanks for a good laugh!
Hi Becky. Kristen taught me a new phrase that I use often. It is "Bench Action". Our bench at church is always full of bench action. The people that were sitting in front of you need to be smacked and I will come do it for you. People need to chill and realize that we are trying our best. Make sure to sit by them next week too! That will teach them!
Are you KIDDING me?! The nerve...
sheesh! I feel bad every Sunday with the ruckus we make, and am constantly apologizing to the people in front of and in back of us. They just laugh, and say that they've all been there before. So, you just need to move to Texas, where people understand when kids act like kids in church!
Oh Becky! That is so crappy--but I'm glad you can laugh now (crying is okay too--that's what I want to do every Sunday). We have lots of old people in our ward and many of them love to give nasty looks at all the loud children. What can you do? What makes it frustrating is that you're trying so hard just to get there--and that's what you get for it. Good luck with the muzzles, I need to find a baby straight-jacket for Sidney to keep her in one place. We feel your pain!
Those people would have loved our 3 ring circus during sacrament meeting yesterday. We even managed to slip in a "playdate" with the boys in front of us. Josh, Luke, and Logan were having a great time while Megan was busy checking the toys in and out to them.
It could be worse. I had a fairly young couple (probably late 30s) ask me to not sit by them at a Wendy's. Apparantely they could tell that we might interupt their terribly romantic dinner for two. I wish I would have told them no and sat down anyway, but I was so shocked. I just told them they were at the wrong restraunt and went to the other side so I could stare at them and give them dirty looks.
Amen to all the other comments! The fact that you even make an effort to get your family up and ready for church (at 9am!)is proof that you are fantastic parents. It is sad that someone could see children's bright and bubbly energy as annoying. Really, so sad for them! You are so blessed to have fun, healthy, 'normal' kids. You should find them next Sunday and sit in front of them. Then you can turn around and say "Could you please be more energetic? I am trying to enjoy my life, and your stuffiness is making it difficult." :)
Thanks everyone...those comments made me laugh.....HARD!!! Sherian, I love the comment for next week.
Holy Crap, Becky!! How rude was that?!!? I can't believe people would be THAT rude...and at CHURCH!!!! Honestly, I think I would have been frozen from shock and embarrassment. Good for you for having the guts to even walk out! I'm one of those parents who thinks it's so "adorable" when my kid acts up, even though I act like I'm mad...the truth comes out! (But I think it's cute when other people's kids act up, too, because seriously, WHAT CAN YOU DO?
I'm a Scout leader too and I really like it. I would have never guessed. Our ward is a zoo with tons of kids in it. Those people should come out here, then they would really have something to complain about. I hope your husband is feeling better.
I've had people move away from us too, and I agree, it makes you feel like crap. I'm so sorry. I agree with all the other posts. We're doing our best- at least we are at church. Most Sundays I want to turn around and run back home. They are exhausting and embarrassing. Someday we'll be able to enjoy church again (and actually know what the speakers are talking about!)
WHAT!? What are these peoples phone number and where do they live!! I can not believe that. I would have cried too. Have they never had kids? Please, who kids just sit in the bench and church and listen to the talks. Certainly not mine! We are dealing with litte kids here. Hello, they make noise. Where in the world did this couple move to? A back corner of the church? Where can you escape kid noise at church. What a couple of grumps! BTW Loved th comment on my blog, and yes it made complete sense, and I do love Bex and Tex. As for Greg, Maybe a little fury Santa number?
love it love it love it. That is classic. This couple obviously never had kids of their own, or have completely forgotten what it is like. Becky, my kids are crazy at church too. There are some Sundays I look at Andrew and ask him what are we doing wrong? How do we help these children understand the correct way to act in church or in any other place for that matter. Well, good luck. I am sure the couple was just worried they were causing problems for you. I am so glad you have a strong testimony because it is things like that that keep people from coming to church.
Uh, I just glanced up at Mindy's comment and saw, "A little fury Santa number." I don't want to know any more. Just kidding. Have a great week!
Becky you make me laugh!!! Wow aren't you so popular, look at all of your blogging buddies. Cute blog! By the way you are an awsome flower putter oner!
That's so funny... some people seriously have no tact! At least your there!!
And side note... I had 2 ladies in relief society pretty much tell me that my baby is a slut and they can't believe that I would dress her immodestly! ... That was when she was 3 months old!!
I know I am the millionth person to comment-- but AMEN. I am glad I am not the only one who has a good cry at church... and not because of the Spirit. Church is SO DIFFICULT with kids. I overheard a lady say-- "I know kids can be hard. But, they shouldn't talk in when the sacrament is being passed." I felt like saying, "And how do you suppose we do that?" I just hope she wasn't talking about us!
Ditto, ditto, ditto. Please, my son screams TREATS when the sacrament is being passed. And it gets more animated when Layne has to help pass the sacrament or if I have to go help with a primary program. That couple needs to remember the basic fundamentals of our church FAMILIES!
The end.
Oh Becky! I am so sorry about that snooty old couple! Du-umb! I think you are doing a great job and I think you are right. You will see the rewards of your efforts one day. Your kids will see how important church is because of the efforts you have made.
And that is HILARIOUS about the cut scout story! Seriously. You will both do a fine job! :) But good luck with that.
Post a Comment