Okay, I just couldn't pass up blogging about our little experience on Monday! Greg didn't have to work on Monday and so we decided to keep Dallin home so that we could go out and about and have a little family time. Greg was meeting with some old friends for lunch and so we decided to head to IKEA before his appointment to get a little therapy shopping in for ME......don't act like you don't know what that means. There is nothing like a "new little something" to make you feel like a new woman. Same thing goes for a new hairdo!! Greg has hopefully learned that a new hairdo or new shirt, or in this case.. a new little cubby for the garage entrance way, is all I need to perk me up for a good while. Okay, so maybe he hasn't learned which is why I gave him no choice about going up to IKEA. Anywho..I am just rambling. On to the story.
We went into IKEA and actually had a great time. This was only my second shopping experience there and the first time I wasn't as impressed as I was expecting to be. Although Greg gave 10 points to the 50 cent hotdogs. Doesn't take much to impress Greg. He was like, "50 cents???, geez, um I'll take like 25 of those. Who can beat 50 cents?" Such a bargain hunter. Moving on. We shopped and found what we needed with a good half hour to spare to feed the boys "50 cent hotdogs" and once again even though Greg was meeting friends for lunch he couldn't pass up two cheap hotdogs. We got out to our car and started loading the new purchases into the truck when this chick pulls up next to us. I was busy putting the boys in their carseats when I hear this lady talking to Greg. I could hardly believe what she was saying. She asked Greg if he was in a hurry. I am sure Greg thought what I thought..she needs help loading something in her car...which was just fine because he does have awesome muscles..(atleast thats what I hear him telling himself every morning in the mirror!) Oh, no..just wait. Greg said he had about ten minutes before he needed to leave for an appointment. She proceeded to tell Greg that her CHILDREN had fallen asleep in the car and was wondering if he would watch them while she shopped. That was about when my jaw hit the freaking pavement. I should have gone over and questioned her right then and there but I was in shock.. instead I told Greg he didn't have time. But, Greg is way way WAY too nice. He said, well, I have ten minutes but that is it. She said, "oh, well, how long are the lines? I'm not sure I can be that quick." Greg told her they weren't to bad and there she went. She ran off into the store. She didn't ask us our names or anything. So here we sat in the IKEA parking lot watching some lazy unfit parent go into shop while we watched her children. No joke. Poor kids. When she ran off I seriously said some choice words and then in typical "Becky Fashion" I started looking around smiling and wondering where that camera was. Was I being punked and if I am, I just said a potty word. I couldn't help myself. What kind of mom leaves her children with complete strangers? I know we are in Utah and I know Greg and I look like "upstanding citizens"..okay maybe just Greg does because she didn't ask me...but say we decided to take the kids..or even better..ditch the kids because we waited so long. I couldn't get over it. Greg thought it would be funny if we just moved the car so when she got back she freaked out....oh funny until you get arrested Greg for kidnapping!!!!! That would be a real knee slapper. Anyways we waited and she came back about ten mintues later and just said thanks and hopped into her car. I can't believe I didn't say something to her. I'm sorry but I have three children and there have been plenty of times that my kids have fallen asleep in the car I have a few options at that point...1. I can freakin wake the kids up and just know that they'll go to bed real good that night. 2. Take a little snoozer with the kids. 3. Take advantage and go get a coke..(if my mother in-law is reading this I meant go get a ROOTBEER) 4. Keep a book in the car to read for times like this. 5. Admit defeat and go home!!
When Greg and I drove away we couldn't get over what had just happened. Do we live in another world because things like that just seem to happen to us. I think Greg was more in shock that a woman was leaving her children with him without a 50 page list of do's and don't's! He always has to remind me that he is their father. Hey, you can never be to sure....about their safety-- not about if he's their father. Come on..they all are exact clones of their dad!! Anyways, let this be a reminder to all moms. The next time you need a babysitter in the IKEA parking lot, call Greg!!
16 comments:
Oh. My. Gosh. Seriously? I mean SERIOUSLY? Who was that woman and when did she think that leaving her sleeping children with complete strangers was a good idea? Or that it made her a responsible parent? She's just lucky that she happened to ask good people. That is insane!
I'm just impressed she actually made it in to IKEA and out again in ten minutes...and bought something too! I could swear it takes more than ten minutes to wind through the upstairs, then follow the path through the downstairs just to find the door to leave. It's like a mouse in a maze. Only for Greg, instead of cheese, it's 50 cent hotdogs for the reward.
Oh my heck....I needed a good laugh!
Now, are you sure you were not in Magna?
Seriously, how do these things happen to you? I can't believe it. I don't trust ANYONE that I do not know. Especially in a parking lot! How random is that?
be careful with those hot dogs, becky! you wouldn't want to give greg any ideas about opening up his own hot dog stand. :) that lady needs to get a clue, either that or get reported to child and family services!
Um, did I really just read that? What in the world? That makes me sick to my stomach!! I am the devil, but I would have called the police, and said that the kids were just alseep in the car and the mom left them to go in the store. What a terrible terrible person, and I don't care if she is reading this!
Oh my freakin heck! I can't believe that woman. Do you have her liscense plate number? I would call DCFS.
Now that I've read your blog to my whole office, oh wait... I'm not at work! That really is unbelievable!!! Maybe Greg just exudes trust that people can't resist. It's a wonder why all predators don't move to Utah. Being the mean girl I am I would have gotten into her jockey box and taken her info. Although, I don't think I would have really done anything with it.
I can't believe that! What a crazy lady! Seriously who does that?
Becky you are so hilarious. I just love reading your blog. I can't get enough. I am shocked at that lady. I need a Greg that I can pack away in my car and pull him out anytime my kids fall asleep. I can't believe someone would leave their kids with a complete stranger. You sure have a fun life!
Are you kidding me?! I have to say, Becky, that these funny crazy things only happen to you and Greg. You are a magnet for funny stuff like that. (I guess I'm thinking about your experience at the SCERA pool last summer.) Hilarious!
I'm sorry, but what the HELL was that? I cannot believe that she did that! I have no words...
I freaking can't believe that! Who does that? O.k. Maybe Jeff when I'm not around, but seriously who does that?
I just have to add my "Are you serious?" to all your comments. That is horrible, but it makes me feel like such an incredible mother! Not to mention Ikea has the best accomodations for kids, and all she had to do was take them a few steps inside and someone could have legally watched her kids while she shopped! Insane people must be drawn to you...I know I am!
This has nothing to do with this post; since I already comment about it previously. This is about what you left on our post. You are so funny! I think my husband has a secret crush on his sister-in-law! We both laughed so hard. If I could only live inside your brain for 1 day!
Wow, your blogs kill me. You are so funny and such a great writer. It keeps me coming back for more. I can't believe that mom left her kids. What was she thinking? You know she'll do it again. Sad. Scary. I loved your blog about Greg and his deals. So funny.
Post a Comment