Thursday, September 25, 2008

Calling all brain specialists!!




Do you ever have those moments in life when you feel as though something serious has happened to your brain? Like there is a little fog in there and you can't get it out? Like your two year old is smarter than you? Like you want to run into a wall just for pure fun and you don't know why? Like your husband and children are looking at you like you are crazy? Like you really really want to sleep for a couple of days just to be "rejuvenated"? If you answered no to one or all of these questions then please exit this blog entry because you are in for a long ride..oh, AND because I don't like you!

As I sit here in this moment..right now..typing.... my head feels like it is going to burst from too much effort. Greg this morning said..."are you pregnant?...you must be pregnant!!" Um, news flash: I'M NOT! My brain may just be experiencing some sort of technical difficulty..although I do feel a little bit teary and I don't know why? ScArY!!! Let me lead you into my life this week: (funny how I felt so accomplished last week..hmmm)

#1: I am usually such a good mom....(I think) I pride myself on Dallin looking so cute for school. Picture of Perfection(he gets that from my side) Well on Tuesday he came to me and said, "I don't want to do my hair today!" I said, "Fine, if you really don't want to then don't do it." Let me tell you that he also was just wearing a little t-shirt for soccer because they had a game that night. Whatever...I don't want to be too OCD so why not let the kid go to school with his hair not combed and in his t-shirt that looked like it was going to shred after the first wash. WHATEVER..easy peasy. I always notice the moms driving their kids to school who have it all pulled together. By that I mean..they have actually showered by 9 a.m. I look like I have just woken up with bed hair and usually braless. (poor Dallin) BUT..he always looks great..has a full tummy..and a nice sack lunch...scriptures read...church songs sang....family prayer..ect.ECT! Well, this day we pull up to the school and I say something funny in my usual funny manner and he smiles and I say, "Um, Dee..did you forget to brush those suckers today?" He says in his very toothy grin..."No, oh, well yes, well ....(as he puckers his tongue all around his mouth to taste the bad taste) yeah I think I did!" What can I say...you practically have to pry boys mouths open to get them brushed..but usually he is pretty good. Oh, well..EASY PEASY...he'll survive. Give mom kisses and off he goes!! Poor kid comes home from school that day mortified that is was freakin "PICTURE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" OF FREAKIN COURSE IT WAS!!! The only day he has gone to school with his hair not done and his teeth not brushed!! I'm sure he walked past teachers who felt bad for the poor orphan kid whose moms brain doesn't work well enough to look on her calendar where it says in big letters on Tuesday September 23..."PICTURE DAY".

*write note to teacher to remind me about makeup day!

#2: Recovering from Tuesday..it is now Thursday..oh wait, that is today!! Alex has school at 11:15...Look at clock, oh, Alex has ten minutes until his ride comes. Oh, crap!!! Alex also has a collage due in ten minutes. PANIC SETS IN! Today they are talking about how SPECIAL they are and have to bring a collage to share with his class about him and how SPECIAL he is!!! How could I forget. Once again it is on my calendar for Thursday September 25!!! I ran around like a crazy woman ripping through my "toilet selection magazines" (heaven knows I have those memorized!) to try to find anything that Alex likes. Trying to talk myself into the fact that maybe he likes random things in the magazine like um, babies, or "how to raise your child" facts, or the leapfrog he doesn't have. I finally whipped things together so that my child is not the only one whose parent forgot to make an "I AM SPECIAL" collage. I guess I can look at the positive because if my brain had clicked any later he would have ended up in class with NOTHING!! PHEW!!!

#3: My brain is oddly fixated with Disneyland. I have this undeniable feeling to be in the "HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH" and I don't know where it is coming from. What am I 3? I frantically have tried each day this week to try to win this contest to go to Disneyland and I convince myself I am going to win. (It oddly feels like all those times I ran for student council and NEVER won but convinced myself every time that I was actually going to win and then wanted to jump off a cliff when I lost every time!! How many times did that happen you ask...oh, like just like 7?!!!! oh, and then add on Cheer leading and dance groups.) What I wouldn't give to be in Disneyland Heaven right now! (Geez..snap out of it!!)

#4, #5 and #6 can go hand in hand. Have you ever put eggs on to boil and who knows how long later start smelling something and thinking it smells oddly like bacon and makes you hungry until you remember that you forgot your boiling eggs?? Yeah, try finding eggshells all over your kitchen for the next lifetime!!! BOOM! All over my kitchen!! Never happened? Okay, then how about making cookies for your neighbors and putting them in the oven and forgetting that you were making cookies at all? Getting scared yet? Okay, how about throwing your jelly away half full (or half empty if you are negative like that) instead of putting it back in the fridge. Yep, quite fascinating I know!!

I have a few theories as too why this is happening. One theory could be that when Colton had his stroke and suffered brain damage he was actually in my body. He seems to have suffered nothing from his stroke or show any sign of brain damage so I am wondering if maybe it transferred to my freakin brain. I know...IMPOSSIBLE I hear you say! Well, shut it because something has to explain my brainfog and thats one of my theories. (mom, I am just kidding. I know you are thinking I must be crazy if I think Colton's stroke could have transferred to me..just a joke. No one's going to think I'm serious). My other theory is that my body is suffering from what I like to call..."cokedeprivation". REAL THING!! It is been deprived these past two weeks and has decided to commit brain suicide!! SERIOUSLY!! I must be put on a coke IV STAT or it may not survive. (um, can we have an ambulance sent to my mother in laws right now because I am sure she is experiencing some sort of shock right now.) APPAULING!!


Hopefully anyday now my brain is going to start functioning at its normal capacity.... but until then, if you see me walking around shoeless and talking to myself please take me home!!

21 comments:

Miss Pete said...

I have a couple more theories:

1. You don't know what to do with your time now that you don't have diapers to change. Your brain doesn't know what to do with that extra time.

2. Children, especially babies, suck the worthy brain cells out of you. You, my friend, forget that you have a new little baby in your home, Princess Mia. It's like taking care of a baby again. She too is helping herself to your brain.

All I know is that I laughed and nodded through that whole post. There are some days I'm just happy to tuck my children into their beds at night and have them all in one piece and happy. And sadly, I function through life with caffeine. Although once trying life without it, I do remember that fog like state. I think I'm going to go open up a nice cold can and send good vibes your way.

Renee said...

I am pretty sure that all the mothers reading your blog can totally relate! I don't think that we could consider ourselves "normal mothers" without feeling just his way! I do have to laugh at the orphan boy on picture day - that is actually really, really funny! Thanks goodness for makeup day! I hope that the coming week brings back your memory and the Coke - it just isn't worth it to do without that caffeine!!!!

Rachel said...

Okay, I commented yesterday, but apparently it didn't work because it is not here. Either that or it was somehow inappropriate and you deleted it :) Anyway, don't feel bad. Twice in one day I forgot to pick up my children from school. I was just sitting around the house completely oblivious to the fact that my children were gone. Then I looked at the clock, realized that my poor kids had been waiting for me, and took off. It seriously happened two different times in the same day. What a good mom I am!

Sharlynn said...

Becky you put it into words so well. I think we all suffur from that. There is a real name for it called momnisia or something like that. Having kids just does it to you. Imagine what my brain might be like. I am lucky if I make it through a day. I do hate the fact that sometimes I really can't express what I need to or sound like an idiot because the word just come out all mumble jumble. Yep! That is me for you. You are cute and completly normal. keep on going!

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

I think at least 10X a day, "Where did my brain go?" I used to be smart, I used to use the right word in the right context, I used to be able to do math in my head. Then came children. I give myself comfort by thinking that I gave all those great brain cells to my children. I hear that it does come back at some point, but when? I am a little worried that it won't and my kids will be introducing my future kids-in-law to me as "this is my mother, ignor her she lost all her brain cells giving birth and never recovered". As I sit there with drool coming out my mouth and simply twitch in agreement.

Point is, I soooo understand your pain.

Paige and Jason said...

As I sat laughing thru this post I kept thinking how comforting it is that I am not the ONLY mother who is a total dolt-head. I keep justifying mine because of sleep deprevation from work. That may be some of it...except that I did this before I started working at nights.

Jamie said...

All I can say is ummYa! Okay, those mornings where you're supposed to have some project done for your preschooler and realize it's not done are THE worst! I'm always embarrassing Tyson by driving him to school and looking like a bra-less zombie. Thanks for your post, it really made my day, because I love knowing that I'm not the only one who's had those days!!! Let's REALLY get together soon k?

Devon said...

It is totally "mommy-brain syndrome" and it only gets worse. It starts when you're pregnant and it NEVER GOES AWAY! I swear that once upon a time I was actually able to make food without burning it, and that I was smart enough to get a college degree. If I had to go to college now, I would totally fail every class! My brain has shrunk with each child I've had...I'm afraid to think what I'd be like if I had any more...

Dottie Stay said...

I love that you are so real! We need that as gals. Sometimes my boys want to dress themselves, and I let them because I don't want to be too controling. Never you mind that they look like they are homeless, but hey they are happy. Dallin makes me laugh. All your boys are so adorable. And they are lucky to have you.

I have been so worried that I am going to forget that I have a baby. I am so used to just having the two. I know one day I am going to leave the house and forget the new little bundle. I don't think I could have any more for the sake of brain cells...the few I have left.

Dottie Stay said...

BTW - Beautiful pic of you!

Sherian said...

Oh I love it! You are a fantastic Mom, and should keep that school shot in the bottom of a drawer, for a good laugh. (In a few years of course) Your boys love you so much, and know you love them more than anything, and that's all THEY will remember about the week!
I have done not one, but all of those things before. (and the egg thing, multiple times!) I constantly make dr. and dentist appointments just to forget them (even with it written on my calendar)
I love how you felt so accomplished last week...just barricade yourself in your closet, put on sparkly red shoes, click your heels three times, and say "there's no place like last week"!

Sherian said...

Oh! and you are so beautiful by-the-way!!!

Miss Pete said...

Do us a favor and scan and post the picture when it comes. We can all have a good laugh because I'm sure you'll be able to laugh about it by then.

Lindy said...

whatever meds the brain specialist ends up giving you, pass some on to me! I totally relate. I usually do my best to "help" Camden get ready in the morning but one morning I didn't care and she went off to school wearing a torn skirt, cowboy boots and her hair in a messy ponytail--turns out it was Spring picture day. awesome.

Jason and Jessie said...

Becky, I am so glad that I am not the only one that thinks that I am going NUTS! Honestly, you made me feel so much better. I couldn't stop laughing while I was reading your post. I think that I have been brain dead my whole life. I wish that I could hide mine as good as you do though! You are such a great mom, even though you let your kid go to school without his hair combed and teeth brushed. I do that every day, minus the school thing!

Amber, Bryan, Easton, and Rufus said...

Oh man I am with you on the brain fog. I've been leaving the stove on. Scary!!! I think when you have a baby they steal a ton of your brain cells and don't give them back. At least we will have company in the funny farm.

Cassie and Chad said...

I am with you, lately I too am COMPLETELY brainless. Not sure if it will ever come back!

hortonhome said...

Becky you make us laugh our heads off!!!! You are seriously like the funniest person that we know. I am sure that really killed your OCD to have that happen on picture day...too funny! Thanks for making us laugh -

Anonymous said...

YOu crack me up! Me thinks it must be the coke deprivation! Super cute pics of you!

Shane and Myra - Est. 9/9/99 said...

Oh Becky! I just had a HUGE fog moment today! I loved this post!!!! I had a friend from high school ask me if I remembered being handcuffed to him and drove to the police dept to get them off?! WHAT?? I totally don't remember! So... your blog helped me feel much better about myself! Must be that 30 years old coming up! OH NO! RUN FOR OUR LIVES!

Stacey said...

Becky, it could be worse. You could have some weird thing growing on your face to go along with your brain loss. Quit suffering. Just go have a Coke for goodness sakes.

You're the greatest.