Friday, July 13, 2007

Drama at the swimming pool!!!

So I have a crazy story. Maybe it is just crazy to me....but I feel like it was right time at the right place. So on Wednesday, I went back and forth trying to decide if I was going to take the kids swimming or not because the air was horrible from the fire. Anyways, I decided that we would go for an hour and that if no one else was there that we were turning around and coming home because I didn't want to be the only abusive parents out in the smog...or whatever it was. So I drove over to the pool, and it was packed. I have never seen it that packed with cars. Well, I drove into the parking lot and there was a truck trying to park in a spot, well I guess she decided that the spot was too small and so she backed out and drove away. I was excited and so I went to go pull in there but realized that the butt of my van was sticking out. I turned around and saw that there was another parking spot on the end so I thought, PERFECT...but I noticed that the truck was turning around and was heading for the spot...so I decided to try and park again in this same spot and see if I couldn't pull up farther. It didn't work and so I backed my car out to go and drive around the parking lot to find another spot, only when I turned my car around I noticed that that truck had tried to pull into that spot but had hit the car next to her and was pulling forward and hitting it and then backing up and hitting it, over and over. I couldn't believe it. We were right by the exit so I pulled my car into the exit and got out of the car to go help. I told the girl to stop and that I would help her pull out. I told her to turn her wheel straight and after much help she finally got out enough so I could look at the damage. She got out of her car and came around and said, "I didn't do that" and I said, "yes you did" and she said, "I didn't feel myself do it" and asked her if she really couldn't feel herself hitting this car over and over and she said that she just knew that she couldn't get her car to move enough to park. (Her car was also damaged). Anyways I told her that she needed to find out whose car this was and that she needed to leave a note while she ran inside to call the cops and find out whose car it was. She was like, "I didn't mean to" and I said I know you didn't but if this was my car and you didn't fix what you did then I would be really mad. I asked her if she just got her driver's liscense because I couldn't believe her driving skills. She told me she has had it for awhile...(by the way, she had on a Orem tigers shirt....that explains it). Anyways I told her to repark her car and leave the note and run in. So she goes to park the car and freakin runs into the car again!!!!! Holy crap! I ran around to her side because she wasn't turning her wheel right and she was like, "Do you want to park it???" He-- no!!! I was not getting blamed for her wreck so I said, no way, I am not getting in there, just listen to me and I will help y0u. Needless to say she parked and headed in. I drove to the other side far away from her truck because I wasn't getting hit by her..the girl obviously pulled one over on her driving instructor. It is one thing to hit a car and then it is another to hit a car over and over and over and claim not to feel it. So I decided that I probably should have gotten her liscense plate but I wasn't hiking back down there with my kids. So I went to the front desk and told them what I had seen and told them the descriptions of both of the cars and I left my name and number just in case the victim needed anything answered and I told the girls to go out there and write down both of the liscense numbers. They said they would....hah! Well, I decided to just go ahead and go in but I was so bugged by the whole thing because....the girl wasn't at the front desk. They said she had asked to go in to find her sister. When I was walking through the locker room I passed her and her sister on their way out. I heard the girl say..."it wasn't my fault". But, I didn't say anything. I walked around the corner out to the pool and I saw one of my friends from my old ward. We were in the same ward and her husband was Greg's first counselor in the Elder's Quorum and they really are just amazing people. They had tried to have a baby for seven years and finally they just had one and he is 7 months old so it was fun to see him and catch up with her for a minute. She was on her way out. Well, I went to go walk away and I said, "By the way....what kind of car do you drive?????" I about died when she said,,,,"A subaru outback" I said, "What color was it and where did you park it?" Yep, you guessed it. It was her car!!!! Is that crazy. With all of the other people there at the swimming pool and the first person I see when I walk in is her and she was just leaving,....if it had been a few seconds different I never would had seen her. Well, I told her that I just saw her car get hit and that I saw the girl heading out there and so I put my stuff down and followed her out to go talk to them. By the time we got out there the girl and her sister were heading back inside. I told her that that was them and so she said, "Hey did you just have an accident?" and the sister goes.."No, she just left a little scratch on someone's car" (a little scratch?? Where is the honesty?) and Brancy said." that would be my car". Well, I figured she had it from there and I went back inside. Well, I called her later and she said the girls fessed up and called their mom..(By the way the sister was like in her late 30's, you'd think she'd be more responsible" They got their insuranse information and Brancy left. She should have called the cops though because the insurance called Brancy today and said that the family will not return any of the phone calls and that if they don't talk to them and they don't fess up then State Farm refuses to pay for her car to get fixed. By the way, Brancy had just made her 2nd car payment on the car that morning. It is her word against theirs!!! Stupid people. So Scott? Any advice for them? Since I witnessed the whole thing, could I do anything??? As wierd as it was that it was me and that it was Brancy's car....would anyone even believe that story?????? That we knew each other and I just happened to run into her and ask her what car she drove...I know all very wierd. It brings meaning to the talk by Elder Bednard about "tender mercies". Anyways. I can't believe some people. I totally believe in being at the right place at the right time, even when it deals with something as simple as a small car accident. CRAZY!!!!

Well, that about sums up my life at the moment. We just do the same old same old each morning and then it is off to the pool. I am going to feel like the pool detective each time and you know that I am parking in no man's land from now on. I always make fun of Greg because we have to hike into any store we go to. Don't want anyone to hit the "minivan"!!! It will look pretty funny wearing my hiking boots with my swimming suit!!! Stop, don't visualize it...or if you do visualize it with me about thirty...okay, fourty pounds lighter!!!

I have pictures to download but....we are off to the pool so I will do it later!!! Chow!!!

10 comments:

Michelle Y said...

HOLY COW!! What a crazy and sad experience you witnessed. I hope your friend gets paid somehow for the damage done to her car. Too bad people can be so dishonest.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is one crazy day. I am sorry you had to witness that but glad you could help your friend. Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time.

Jen said...

I can't believe it! Tell her she can still call the police-- and probably should. What a nightmare. Good luck!

Dottie Stay said...

That is so terrible! I feel so bad for your friend. What pool were you at? I can't believe that someone would do that. Good for you for sticking up for your friend!

Rachel said...

Holy Cow! I'd say it was drama. I think that the insurance company should hear your account, since you witnessed it. Why can't people just be honest?

Jen Tornow said...

Wow, Becky. That makes me so mad! I can't believe they can be so dishonest! And the insurance company...don't get me started! This is definitely a reminder that you should ALWAYS call the police, no matter how minor the damage!

Johnson said...

One year Greg and i were at a Seminary Convention and somebody hit our car bad, they punctured a hole in the bumper and no one said a thing......it was only seminary teachers at this remote location....that too bad!!!!

Annie said...

People like that should not be allowed to drive! Seriously.

Layne & Kellie said...

I know it is a late post but I think your account in the story would help a ton. I was in a car when my roommate had backup and her and guy on a bike collided. But they ended up calling me... So I think you could help. That is a crazy story. If I were her parents....:)

Missy said...

hey becky,

i linked here from sharlynn's blog to see your cute boys. and i couldn't stop reading this parking lot story! the way you told it was my favorite part.

missy