I never thought I would be so excited. When Greg and I bought this new house we never knew that something was alive in our basement. We signed the papers, moved our stuff in, and on that very first day in our new house...the most unpleasant sound roared from the basement. Describe the sound I hear you saying....Okay, think of Dumb and Dumber when Lloyd gets sick up in the bathroom and his stomach made that awful gurgling noise just prior to the explosion. That noise times 10. It was a noise coming from the downstairs bathroom, yet when you were sitting upstairs it felt as though it was right next to you. The children were terrified that a monster was living in the bathtub downstairs. We called the previous owners who said, "Oh, gee, we almost forgot about that noise. You just gets used to it." Bull honkey!! Who gets used to a noise that sounds like Uncle Rico is dying in the bathroom downstairs. Greg was so nice and said, "Oh, okay..they said they totally forgot and that we'll get used to it." Um, what? We'll get used to the poor cattle suffering in our bathtub drain....ya right!
Well, miracles do come in small packages because as I mentioned a few weeks back, our basement flooded. Yep, our sump pump broke and what should have been a morning sledding out in the snow, became a morning, no morning and afternoon, ..oh heck who am I kidding, it became our whole entire day sloshing in the water in our basement. Okay, so it wasn't that bad, luckily we caught it before it caused to much damage..but it makes for a great story right? Anyhow, we got a plumber over here who ensured us that sump pumps don't break. ReAlLy? Hmmm. Interesting. Anyways, he put in a new one and "Voila"...it didn't work?!?!?! Isn't that a kick in the shorts. So, he put in the old one and said he would order another new one and be back in a couple of days. Which, he came back and put in the newer new one and "Voila"....it didn't work. Although, he said it did and ran as fast as he could out of our house. So, for the next couple of days..on through Christmas, Greg and I would spend some quality time together pumping out 65 gallons of water each night before we would go to bed. Romantical I know!! Well, the poor plumber once again came back. (We are now like family..he, he) But, this is where the miracle comes in...on our 4th sump pump...which never break by the way...."Voilllllllla" (sung in Opera)...it finally works...and.....the gurgle has disappeared! No more embarrassing moments when guests are over and think Greg has imploded. Awkward! I didn't know that something so simple could make me so so happy! So, although we spent some time in an utter frenzy and sleepless nights wondering if the basement was ever going to stop flooding...it is a blessing in disguise. We now have a sump pump that works...(knock on wood) and the gurgle has finally left the building!!
19 comments:
That is crazy--I can only imagine trying to explain to visitors the intestinal noises coming from your bathroom :) Funny, just not for you! I'm so glad it's fixed! We have a mystery fish-smell that appears randomly at the top of our stairs. We still can't figure it out--it happens once or twice a month during the summer. Too weird--and it drives me crazy! One day we'll find the source...(I keep thinking the builders left their lunch up in the attic, but if that was the case, we'd have the smell year-round.) Glad the gurgle is gone!
Oh that sucks! (well I guess not...hence the flooding) bailing water sound tremendously romantic. Like in movies, rain or water always makes everyone much sexier! I'm glad you got it fixed! As far as the sounds, SO FUNNY! I have similar sounds that often come from my bathroom...but it IS my husband!
C0ngratulations! Ha ha. I'm glad you have such a great sense of humor. I'd be crying and cursing the plumber! Can't wait to see this pretty place you call home.
You are hysterical yet again! So glad the noise is gone! What a pain! I wished I could have talked with you more the other night. Greg is so funny. What a nice guy to just agree with what the other owners said. Um, by the way i did a pic of myself just for myself with the weight I needed to lose last year, and that was really depressing. I don't reccomend it! :)
Wow what a nightmare!!!! What a funny story though, I am glad the monster is gone and that you can allow guest to use the facilities. I hope your boys are too traumatized!
Your kids are so cute! I love the slide show from Christmas. It was so great to see you at Target with the whole family. What a cute family you have. I love looking at your blog and catching up. Can't wait to see what happens next!!
The way you write makes me laugh! I can totally picture all of that happening. I am glad the monster in the basement is gone. Knock on wood it doesn't happen again - I can't wait to see what your next adventure is!
I am glad I am not the only one with crazy old house problems. Ain't home ownership great?! It was so fun to see you guys last week.
You crack me up! And it was SO great to see you last week (and of course GREG)!!! You've got a great husband there (and not completely just because I'm his "favorite"). We need to have a shindig and come see your new digs...minus the gurgle!
You are hilarious. Isn't home-owning fun? So far we've had a plumber out twice for the garbage disposal and a heating repairman out 3 times to fix a pilot light that keeps going out. We've discovered a leak under our kitchen sink, and in the basement. Two of our toilets flush spontaneously, the other only flushes if you lift the lid and pull the chain yourself. It's the best.
Ok, so I just read Greg's list on the side bar. I loved the curtsy story. What a crack up!
Oh yeah!! So glad the pump is fixed. Yikes! I hate weirds sounds. Our shower started leaking and it drips all the time but it always seems louder at night. It drives Layne and I nutts.
So glad the fourth was the ticket! Sorry for your quality time with your hubby involving buckets of water! Who says "Oh yeah you get used to it"???? Sheesh!!! You are such a good story teller!
I'm so glad you guys were able to get that mess figured out! Looks like you guys had a Merry Christmas, your boys are too cute:) As always, I get a good laugh when I read your posts! Thanks!!
Of course you can still work for me, if we negotiate a sale I will still be somewhat involved I think. Anyway don't quit on me yet!
You are way too dang good to be Bec! Love you!
Min
You are an amazing story teller. Loved the way you capture us all and describe everything. I could totally here the noise. I am glad it is a goner.
HOOOOORAY. I totally feel for you. Our PG house had flooding issues (among other issues that the sellers failed to disclose). I hate even thinking back to those days! But it sure teaches you a bit about plumbing, right? I hope that everything continues to work as it should!
Don't you love your new house! It makes it all worth it since you live next to the most amazing relatives ever!
Post a Comment