Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Two strikes and he's OUT OF THERE!!!!

Hold your breath......ready.....okay.....they lost my baby Colton AGAIN in Nursery!!!! I will not tell a fib...it is true! I have been stewing over this one for two weeks now and I don't know what to do! The worst part is that I had just talked to the nursery leader fifteen minutes prior to that about how he had been lost in the nursery a few months back and how I have had to emotionally get over it and that he had just started going back. FIFTEEN MINUTES people!!! I mean SERIOUSLY? I had gone to check on him...because I check on him like every 15 minutes and I ran into her in the hall. I filled her in..(different nursery leader from last time) and actually told her about the complications we had in getting Colton here and how tragic it would be to have something happen to him because someone wasn't watching him (trying to make her even more sympathetic and cautious...um that didn't work!) So I headed back to Primary just as confident as I could be and happy we'd had this little chat. Church ended and Dal and I headed out to get Alex..who is close by the primary room...opposite end of the nursery by the way... and the hall was crowded and I just happened to look down and see my baby squeezing through the crowd walkin on by me. I said, "WHY is Colton all the way down here?" Just then I looked up and met eyes with that SAME nursery leader, whom I had just talked to fifteen minutes early, she then looked down at Colton and then her eyes went huge and was like, "oops!" Serious Karate instincts kicked in (no pun intended). I wanted to Karate chop whoever let him out. All of those moves from Karate Kid were coming back to me. I mean he had his picture and everything. So someone just said, "hey kid, heres your picture, now you are on your own to wander the streets..oh, and good luck on finding your parents." I am lucky he didn't go outside because the outside door is right next to the nursery and that is usually where he heads first. I picked him up and headed back to the Primary room to tell Greg what had just happened. I seriously was holding back the tears....until we reached our car. I'm sorry people...I know that it is a "FREE" service at church and that I should be happy that people are even in nursery..but I feel like I try to give my callings 100%. So, I could understand it happeneing once, but twice in a couple of months??? Come on!!!

So, what is next? Greg thinks I am a crazy person because I won't send him back. I can't...I physically can't do it. It is not worth it to me. He says he will check on him every fifteen minutes and be the first one there to pick him up..but obviously it only takes 1 second to walk out the door. Last week at church there was a lost little girl and everyone was running around the halls trying to find her. It brought back fresh memories and I vowed once again that he wasn't going back. I told Greg maybe when he's twelve going into Young Men's I could send him back. Just kidding people!!! Maybe when he's ten!! :)

Any advice for the CrAzY woman?

26 comments:

Annie said...

I am so sorry! Do they have a lot of kids in nursery or something? There is nothing more frightening than losing your child. I don't know what I would do in your situation...
Did you say anything to the nursery leader?

Sonja said...

You say you know Karate! Kidding. You just need to move up here. We lock our kids up. Okay, maybe cause we live in Magna.

Johnson said...

No, there are not many kids in the nursery. There is an older nursery and a younger one. I would guess maybe 8 or so?? At the most. Yeah, I said I'd rather him locked up in a gate in the corner than let lose to roam the church!!

Michelle Y said...

What a horrible thing to have happen TWICE! I'm really sorry to hear this happened. I don't blame you one bit for being extra cautious now.

Whitney Jensen said...

Becky - I LOVE reading your blog - you crack me up! Hope you don't mind, I told everybody to read your Ikea story - that one was too funny! Good Luck with nursery! Whitney

Dottie Stay said...

Who do they have running nursery? Do they just sit and talk and not pay attention to the kids? That would totally make me nervous too. We have a tiny Nursery only 5 kids to 3 leaders. If Carter got lost I would ring their necks!!

Rachel said...

I wouldn't send him back either. That's my advice. Okay, so please let's go out for dinner soon. I've got to get out of this house and go somewhere where I can wear the new clothes I bought myself!

Rebecs said...

Do you realize how much time I spend reading your blog. Your blog is the only one I will sit and read and read and read. I love it! Good thing my work is paying me to so! As for the nursery seriously suggest they put the tables in front of the doors. That is what we did every Sunday when I was in nursery.

South Boise Girl said...

When you drop him off, ask one specific person to keep him until you personally come and pick him up-Let her know you are counting on her because of what's happened.

I'd also tell the Bishop and have him handle it-i.e No child let go except to an adult-maybe have them sign in and out

In today's world you can't be too careful!!!

Sharlynn said...

Oh Becks- I am a nursery leader, just come to my ward and I will protect that sweet little thing like no other. I am sorry to hear that they keep on losing him. You would think that they would keep an eye on him better knowing that he has been lost before. I hope you figure something out because you really can't keep him under your wing. Good luck!

Sherian said...

My Cows, I would be pissed! Oh sorry, at church I would be upset! I don't know what to tell you, I believe that nursey leaders are earning major "points" in heaven for their service, but there has to be a level of responsibility. I would address the Primany Pres. and ask what she plans on doing about it...in a kind "soft-spoken" voice of course!
P.S. Thank you SO very much for that wrestling video. It made my day! Your Alex has some seriously sweet moves! I took notes, I'm going to use some of those on Mike tonight;)!!!

Robinson Family said...

Hey Becky. It's Sarah, Martha's sister. She showed me your blog and I've been looking at it and getting a kick out of it for a while now. You crack me up! So sorry to hear about the Nursery thing. I would talk to the primary pres for sure. Good luck. Wish you still lived by Mar! Keep the blogs coming.

Layne & Kellie said...

Man, I can't believe they lost him again. I really don't understand. We have 20 kids in our nursery and they have about 4-5 adults (plus, the occasional parents that come in with their children). We have yet to lose any. Though I teach Sunbeams and I lost one boy last summer and I still feel guilty!!

Jones Family said...

Guess what Becky I had something similar happen to me like that. My daughter 3 at the time was let out of Sunbeams on her own. Well she decided that it would be a good idea to pick sister up. the nursery leaders sent Evva out alone with her 3 year old sister. When I went to pick them up I freaked and couldn't find them. Someone about 5 minutes into my panic came and told me they were playing in the toilets in the bathroom. I was so MAD. My husband even ended up going to talk to the bishop. He said it would never happen again and even made an announcement in sacrament. Guess what less then one month later it happened again. So my husband and I do just what Greg has said. We are always going and checking on her in nursery and get out of class early to be there before they end. It sucks to have to do that but I will not chance it happening again. ESP when it only takes one second for someone to grab them. It has helped alot us doing the checking and has not happened again.

Renee said...

Oh wow, all of you reactions are justified. I can picture you standing on one foot like Karate Kid ready to kick somebody's face in! How do they loose you child...TWICE? Crazy. I don't know what advice to give you other than maybe have a little chat with the Primary President about putting gates on the primary doors. When we were in logan they had gates on the outside of each nursery door - the kind that you would put at the top of your stairs. You could still open and shut the door but when you did there was a gate to climb over it. Maybe it is worth you DONATING a few to the nursery! Good luck - keep us posted!

Renee said...

Oh wow, all of you reactions are justified. I can picture you standing on one foot like Karate Kid ready to kick somebody's face in! How do they loose you child...TWICE? Crazy. I don't know what advice to give you other than maybe have a little chat with the Primary President about putting gates on the primary doors. When we were in logan they had gates on the outside of each nursery door - the kind that you would put at the top of your stairs. You could still open and shut the door but when you did there was a gate to climb over it. Maybe it is worth you DONATING a few to the nursery! Good luck - keep us posted!

Jen Tornow said...

You need to talk to your bishop about getting more help in the nursery. That's ridiculous. Did you get any kind of excuse from them?

jennie said...

I would be the same way. I am so wierd about nursery as it is... I didn't send Clementine until she was nearly 2 years old because I didn't want her to get their germs. The second nursery is over, we become the "Purell" nazis. I can't imagine how I would be if they actually lost my child. Luckily, we have a small nursery!!

Cassie and Chad said...

Oh Becky I can't believe that!!! You are completely justified in your actions. Hey here is an idea, tell Kirk I bet he would sit in nursery and be your baby's personal attendant. I mean seriously who wouldn't want to eat fishys and be shoeless for two hours!!!

Amber, Bryan, Easton, and Rufus said...

Oh man, twice, really?? I am nervous to send Easton to nursery in a couple of months. I don't blame you for wanting to karate chop them, you should have. I mean, hello, he is a baby. Good luck with what you decide to do in the future.

Anonymous said...

OOOH I would be so ticked! Our Nursery just set the rule that an adult had to pick up their kid and not a sibling because there was too much confusion going on. Good luck - I'd totally talk to the bishop or the primary pres. I'd go loco if they lost Ruby. They have a responsibility to make sure your child is safe - good grief!!!!

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

Holy Cow! I totally would not be sending him back! Rowen is almost old enough to go into nursery and I have been totally NOT wanting to send him. I have a hard time with nursery for so many different reasons, and this just topped my list of reasons not to send him. I would difinataly talk to the Primary Pres.

Renee said...

Okay, not to change the subject but I just watched that video Greg's students made and I was laughing my head off - especially the little scream there at the end! How neat!

Unknown said...

Hi, I know Greg from H.S. and found your blog off of Kerri J.'s she is a friend of mine. I hope you don't mind! That seminary video is too funny! Tell Greg great acting job!
As for nursery, I wouldn't send him back either. I have a 22 month that kept getting sick everytime he went and now before I try to send him in I ask if the toys have been lysoled and if any kids are sick - if I don't get the answer I like Chase doesn't go! Good Luck!

Jeannette (Croushore) DeGraffenried

Cori Ann said...

I'm so sorry! Me and the rest of the presidency... along with our nursery coordinator... are working on a solution to this problem. I can understand your lack of faith in the system but rest assured that we will do out best to make this right.

Sharlynn said...

Loved the video but where are you? I am really needing a good laugh and I usually can get one from reading your blog. Why haven't you posted lately? Please post!