Sunday, February 10, 2008

The amazing Sissel!!!

Last night was an incredible night. Greg and I had the opportunity to go to the most fabulous concert......Sissel!! Who is Sissel some of you might ask? She is the greatest singer to have ever lived. Greg and I joked last night at the concert that the angels must really miss her singing with them up in heaven. Her voice is just so pure and perfect. I have never heard anything like it. The history for me with Sissel is that my dad has been her biggest fan since she first started. We lived in Norway when I was a little girl and since that time many of my memories include some of her music playing in the background of our house. There wasn't a Saturday morning that I didn't wake up to her music. My dad was very passionate about playing her music while he made norwegian pancakes and he had one listening volume.....LOUD! We didn't appreciate it as much as teenagers but as an adult it means the world to me. I also have many memories of singing to her full blast with my sisters into our wooden spoons!! A couple of years back my dad was the wonderful orchestrator in getting Sissel to come and perform with the Tabernacle Choir. From there, the magic happened and she has been back many times. We had the opportunity the first time to attend both the concert at the Y and the broadcast with the choir and then we were also able to meet with her for brunch. What a dream come true for my dad. (He doesn't get enough credit for her coming.) All of my siblings were there and not one of us wasn't crying as she sang the songs of our childhood!!! What an amazing experience. Not only was she the most incredible singer she is one of the nicest people I have ever met. She is so kind and sincere and doesn't act as though she is above you in any way. I was really impressed with her that first time. She was so kind to my little boys, (I had just had Alex) and Dallin of course fell right inlove. Well, last night we helped my dad host some great and wonderful people. There was a reception held directly after the concert for a select few. We once again had the chance to meet Sissel. (side note...it was quite the perk to have Elder Perry in front of us in line!!! We were giddy all night) It has been years since we have seen her and when we saw her she stood up and threw her arms around me and said. "How are you and how are the boys?" I said they were wonderful and she said, "have you had anymore?" I told her we had had one more and she said, "Oh, you have three boys now?" I said yes and I told her that Dallin said he was still inlove with her. She was so cute and said, "Then I must send him a picture and sign it to him". And that's what she did. She wrote, "To Dallin, Love from Sissel". Needless to say Dallin was so excited when we got home. He had been so jealous when he couldn't come. She has quite the memory. I couldn't believe that she remembered us! I am an even bigger fan.

We had so much fun. The reception didn't get over until 11:30 and we had so much fun visiting with my parents, Andrew and Brooke, and of course it was fun to see Uncle Bruce and Christine!!! (some of my parents lifelong friends!) Brooke and I had one moment where we were laughing so hard we cried!!! I had her take a picture of Greg and I and when I looked at it to approve it, I looked so fat. I made her take like three more and same thing. I determined it was because I was infront of Greg so I looked even bigger and so I took my chair half way across the room...behind Greg and that made for a funny picture. I will post those when I get them.

I am still so giddy! Thank you to my parents for allowing us to be with them last night! It was a dream come true. I find the older I get, the more I love this lady!!! It was fun to see random people that we know at the concert and to hear how they had heard of Sissel. I am so thankful to my dad for teaching us to love the music of this most incredible and wonderful angelic singer!!! I picture her singing when I get to heaven!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very fun! Sounds like a great night!

Miss Pete said...

Don't forget to mention that EVERYONE has heard her voice if they have watched the movie Titanic. She's the voice you hear singing throughout the movie (it's not Celine like most people think). Which reminds me now about a funny thing Becky said: When we went to watch the movie Titanic, we were waiting for the movie to start when Becky turned to Deanne and me and said, "So what's this movie about anyway." I guess she was a little too busy flirting during History class. So if you all thought you cried during that movie, Becky cried even harder because she wasn't expecting that ending.

Renee said...

It really was a great concert! I love her music. How neat that your dad was a large part of why she was here! He deserves a lot of credit for bringing her music and spirit to so many! I know the choir LOVED her as well. It was fun to see you there! She really is great!

Johnson said...

Funny Deb,...real funny!!

Andrea B. said...

I've heard Phil and Janet talk of her, but I still haven't heard her. Sounds like we should. I'm impressed your dad makes Norwegian Pancakes (I made them yesterday). The amazing part is that Emma can eat as many as Mike.

Peterson Family said...

I get off work at one so i will email them to you sometime around 2. im hoping, i dont have the internet so im going to my sisters. so after 2 is my guess. They are so funny. you better post all of them!

Rachel said...

I don't think your dad gets enough credit for anything he does! What an awesome story. Thanks for sharing it!

Annie said...

I'm laughing so hard at the comment by debbie about you and titanic. Seriously?! hilarious.
I'm jealous you and the gals had lunch last week. I need girls night out, too! I miss you girls.

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome! My neighbor raves about Sissel. He served his mission in Norway and he always talks about her music.

Layne & Kellie said...

I haven't heard much about her until you and Renee have posted. So I listened to what Renee had on her site and yes, she does have a beautiful voice! On surprised I haven't heard her before. Thanks for sharing. That is sweet that you got to meet her again!!

Dottie Stay said...

That is so so neat Becky. what a wonderful dad you have!! I loved that she remembered you and your boys. What a special lady! How fun that you get to spend time with all your family so often. What isit about music that makes us so emtional? It is so fantacular! How are Bruce and Christine? Is that who i think it is? I did not know that that was her voice in Titanic. You are right,heer voice it truly angelic!

Rebecs said...

Okay after reading Debbie's comment I am dying laughing and cannot even remember what I was going to comment myself. I must say I love reading your blog, you have always been so funny and entertaining!

As for the post, I went to the Christmas concert Sissel performed in and I must give a HUGE thanks to your dad for getting her here. It was amazing!

Bobbilynn said...

Hey Becky, this is Brookes sister, Bobbi. I have to laugh at the Titanic story because I had the same experience with Apollo 13! I didn't know it was a true story and everyone else watching it knew they lived. So I cried a lot too. but I did know about titanic, I think we covered it in 6th grade? You must have started flirting pretty early. lol.Anyway, cute blog. And my dad now loves sissle(sp?) because of brooke and drew.

Melani said...

Becky, you are seriously one of the funniest people I have ever met! That Titanic story killed me! So funny!