Thursday, February 28, 2008

OUCH! That hurts!

Whew! It's been awhile. I haven't been able to type since I had my arm twisted this week. Oh, nothing serious....Greg just twisted my arm once again into one of his "brilliant" ideas! You see..let me explain! Greg is a sucker for "good deals". No matter how much I try to resist, he somehow wins in the end and I am left tired, cranky,..oh and ya, broke! Over the years I have had to laugh at Greg. If you came to the door selling "one of a kind" eyebrow pluckers..Greg would have to buy them. "Oh, but Bec..They are one of a kind!!!" I can hear him right now.

Back in the day,...in house number one..(you see a trend, we are now in house number four, and that doesn't include apartment number 1 and 2. They were all great deals!!) An annoying "Pizza Hut" salesman came a knocking on my door selling those stupid coupons that you get every Tuesday in the mail for free. I still remember Greg being suckered in. He was just going with it and so excited. I bravely stood up to the dork at the door and Greg said, "Can you give us a minute?" I rolled my eyes as he rushed me to the kitchen. "Oh, Bec..come on. I will use my birthday money." I responded with.."Why would you want to spend $25 dollars of your birthday money on coupons we get for free every week and for pizza we never buy." Here's the catch. You get a free pizza. Needless to say, we payed $25 for that free pepperoni pizza!!

On to example number 2. Hold on people, we might be here awhile. Okay, never mind. I will just throw it out there. We are the proud owners of a $2000 Kerby vacuum. I think I am starting to gain some sypathy here..right?

Oh boy. I just remembered one of the first times we shared one of these special moments. This one is a doozy. When I was pregnant with Dallin, Greg and I went down to the Manti pageant like we do every year to celebrate where we went on our first date. Romantical, I know! Greg went to go get us a snow cone and was gone for an hour and a half. Oh, ya. I was freaking out. I started thinking he was abducted by one of the picketers. Even the people around us noticed how long he had been gone and started to worry with me. It was almost completely dark and the show was getting ready to start when I heard him. That's right..I heard him. He was as happy as can be whistling that stupid Christmas song that he whistles 12 months out of the year. (Calm down Becky...its so hard for me to relive these moments.) When I heard him...I knew he was okay...and so then I was ready to make it so he wasn't okay, if you get my drift. As he got closer I noticed that he was swinging a bag back and forth and had a huge grin on his face..and yes, you guessed it...NO SNOW CONE!! That my friends is when we became the proud owners of the "Living Scriptures Life Time of Debt" plan. This little man of mine was so excited because he got two free movies and a free coloring book. In return we took out a mortgage on our lives to own the entire collection of Living Scriptures..including the ones that hadn't even been made yet. Needless to say..we just paid those babies off intime for VHS to become unheard of!! Oh, and let's not forget the 18% interest!! One word: SUCKER!!!! Maybe the plastic they are wrapped in still 7 1/2 years later will be worth something!

Okay, I have a billion examples I could use but I will just get to the latest scandal. "CONCESSIONS"! And yes Jeff..I do hold you partly responsible for this one for even mentioning it to Greg! Jeff mentioned to Greg that we could sell "goodies" at a local basketball league. Greg looked at me and I said, "Um, no thank you!" Now, we aren't talking just showing up and selling the stuff. Someone..(yep, me) had to spend her entire day running around getting things for the concessions. I truly think Greg thought we'd make a killing off of this. I tried to explain to him how much money there isn't in concessions but he was beyond the point of no return. Once he hears the deal there is no turning back. He ALWAYS wins. Need less to say, I spent about $90 on stuff, plus gas, my time, and my sanity and we got there and there was a whoppin 4 fans in the stadium. No that isn't a typo. People, these kids are like 10. Parents drop them off and pick them up. By the end of the night there were maybe 25 people who came and went and we ended up selling $19 dollars worth of stuff. Poor Dallin asked for a Gatorade and I asked him if he had a buck?!? So, we are out some money. Although Mr. Happy Pants still wants to go waste 2 1/2 more hours there again next week. Yes, we laughed. But at two very different things. Greg was laughing because he is always happy and sometimes annoying and I was laughing because I was secretly picturing him being tortured in my head!!

Oh, I love my life but sometimes I wonder how I ever got married to Mr. Rogers. Don't get me wrong, I loved Mr. Rogers growing up and secretly I still do, but I don't think they ever showed that episode when Mr. Rogers spent all of his money on free coupons!! Oh, now I get it..I wondered why there was never a Mrs. Rogers! Okay, so he is a pushover..but he is my pushover! Just do me a favor, when you see us on the corner selling lemonade..please stop!!! (I better not let Greg read that last line..it might give him an idea!)

14 comments:

Nick and Deanne said...

Oh my gosh Becky. I'm dying. Greg kills me and you are a lot nicer than I am to go along with it. Just let him know that I am your new business manager and he's not allowed to make any decisions without consulting me first. :)

The Davies Family said...

You really should write a book with all your funny stories...yeah funny to everyone else but you I'm sure..but hey its a way to make a buck..wait maybe I shouldn't suggest that? That was hilarious! Ry and I got into something like that when we were first married..you know the notsogooddeal, well we ended up paying like 2500.00 and ended up with a big fat NOTHING! The good news? we did learn from it..well lets hope right? Loved the coupon story though..how many times do we fall for that?

Rachel said...

You are freaking hysterical! That is the funniest post ever. I've hear all those stories- but never recapped into one big drama. I agree, you do need to write a book!

Lindy said...

too funny. you're a good wife to still be laughing (even though you are thinking about torture). I can just hear Greg whistling a happy tune...

Renee said...

Becky, I have had the worst day and you just made me laugh my head off with that story. You are hilarious! Thanks for posting. Good luck with that husband of yours!

lramey said...

again, i had to slap on my depends before I finished reading....you are the funniest! How fun for you that you got to marry Mr. Rogers!!! does he have lots of good sweaters? I bet the puppet plays are the best!!!

well, good times!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be laughing at your expense but, you are just too funny! I LOVE your stories!

Jen said...

That is so funny! I know, both Rich and I are pushovers. I've just stopped worrying about it and decided, its just money, right?! Greg cracks me up. And seriously, whoever started the living scriptures thing should be ashamed of himself. How does the man sleep at night?!

Dottie Stay said...

The best part of the whole post is I could see Greg's smiling face as he was finding all of these great deals. Oh, you are so patient and loving. Sorry, but that is the dang funniest thing I have heard. I am with Jen the living scriptures person is just terrible.

Layne & Kellie said...

Ha ha ha ;) That made me laugh so much. I think it is official... you win the Most Patient Wife Award. I can't believe it! The $25 pizza was awesome. Good luck and hang in there j/k ;) You are awesome. I love reading your posts... your personality totally comes out! That is why we think you are so fabulous!

Annie said...

I just giggle everytime I read your blog. As I was reading your post, I kept thinking about Trevor whenever he goes into an electronics store--all rational thought leaves his body. It makes me crazy!

Melani said...

Do you even know how many times Brad uses Greg's Living Scriptures example when I want to get something? It is pretty funny, and I guess we have learned through Greg's experience. :) He's one of kind! Too funny.

Michelle Y said...

Becky, you are so funny. I loved reading this, you are such a talented writer to recount all these funny times so well. I have to admit, I'm sort of the "salesman's dream" like Greg, I fall for anything that claims to be a "good deal".

malia said...

This is hysterical! You kill me!!! Love the post! :)